The Russian State Scientific Center for Robotics and Technical Cybernetics is one of the largest research centers in Russia.
The Institute performs trial and applied research, according to the results of which the Institute creates the specimen of new equipment and delivers them to customers.
The Institute has its own production capacities, research and testing workbenches and current research and established development, engineering, and production cooperation. The departments of the Saint Petersburg State Polytechnical University work under the auspices of the Institute. RTC frequently hosts international, All-Russian, and regional conferences and workshops.
The main focus areas of RTC are robotics, photon equipment, special instrumentation, information and measuring control systems, as well as information security service.
- March 23. The Laboratory of Engineering Cybernetics of the Department of Automation and Telemetry Control of the Leningrad Polytechnical Institute n. a. M. I. Kalinin (LPTI) under the direction of Evgeny Ivanovich Yurevich was assigned to the task order for the gamma ray altimeter (hereinafter referred to as “Kaktus”) aimed at controlling the soft landing engines of the spacecraft “Soyuz”.
- July 7. Execution of the first economic contract No. 435/1180 between the department of Automation and Telemetry Control of LPTI and SDD-1 (known today as OJSC “RKK “Energia” n. a. S.P. Korolyov”) for the development of the system “Kaktus”.
- Spring. Performance of the first aircraft tests of the system “Kaktus” as part of the lander of the spacecraft “Soyuz”.
- August. Development in the structure of LPTI of the Research Unit of Engineering Cybernetics (RUEC) subordinated to the Vice Rector for Research at the base of the laboratory of engineering cybernetics of the department of Automation and Telemetry Control.
- December. First full time operation of the system “Kaktus” as the part of the unmanned lander “Soyuz” (accident at the launch facility and the triggering of the launch escape system).
- January 29. Creation of the Special Design Department of Engineering Cybernetics (SDD EC) under the Leningrad Polytechnical Institute n. a. M.I. Kalinin (Order of the Minister of Higher and Specialized Secondary Education of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic No. 15cc). E.I. Yurevich was appointed to the position of the Head and the Chief Designer of SDD EC.
- October 30. First full time operation of the system “Kaktus” as part of the manned spacecraft “Soyuz-3”.
- Creation of the first control systems of the manipulators of submersible vessels that opened a new scientific and technical direction in the activities of the Institute – robotics.
- Creation of the first integrated research robot of the type “LPTI”.
- Creation of the soft landing control system “Quant” and the control of the picked soil of the automatic interplanetary station “Luna-16” that delivered to the Earth the samples of the lunar soil.
- Development of the system intended for the automated control of the manipulator and the output to the target object for the product “Katran-2”. Ultrasound sensing of the grip of the underwater manipulator.
- Flight tests of the first pulse X-ray altimeter “Fakel”.
- Flight development tests as part of the aerodynamic ground-effect craft of the chief structural engineer R.E. Alekseev of the photon systems “Luch” and “Val” measuring height, angle of bank and attack, height and direction of waves.
- Performance trials and the delivery to the Customer of the photon system “Vektor-TK” aimed at controlling the close array of sea ships.
- Creation of the photon system of manual docking “Ars” for the spacecraft “Soyuz” and the orbital station “Salyut”, devices aimed at controlling the on-board power supply systems of orbital spacecraft.
- Creation and the first full time operation of the devices aimed at controlling the on-board power supply systems of spacecraft.
- June 23. SDD EC was assigned with the status of a legal entity named “Specia Design Department of Engineering Cybernetics of the Leningrad Polytechnical Institute” (Order of the Minister of Higher and Specialized Secondary Education of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic No. 328).
- June 28. Head and the Chief Designer of SDD EC, E.I. Yurevich was appointed to the position of the Research Supervisor and the Chief Designer for the creation of industrial robots in the USSR (Decree of the Committee for Science and Technology of the USSR No. 295).
- Flight development tests of the photon system “Iney” aimed at controlling the propellant feed to the jet engines of ballistic missiles developed by the Design Department “Yuzhnoye”.
- July 27. SDD EC was given the head role in the development of photon equipment (Decision of the Military Industrial Commission of the USSR No. 200).
- Creation and putting into operation of the first mobile industrial robots in the USSR, “MP-1” and “Sprut-1”.
- Approval by the Committee for Science and Technology of the USSR of the first “Coordination plan for creation of robots to mechanize and automate production processes in the production sector (issue 0.16.575)” developed by SDD EC.
- Installation of the emergency depressurization control systems “Dyuza” and the pressure alarm “DSD” on the board of the spacecraft and orbital facilities.
- July 22. SDD EC was assigned as the head organization in the USSR for the development of industrial robots for machine engineering (Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 583).
- Issue of the closed monograph “Photon control and measurement systems for aviation and rocket-and-space equipment” edited by E.I. Yurevich.
- August. Under the SDD EC the department of Engineering Cybernetics was created in LPTI to prepare an engineering and scientific personnel working in the field of robotics.
- Development of the magnetic navigation systems “Kedr”, “Skat”, and “Invariant” for spacecraft, submarines and aircraft.
- Development of the system of the automated control of movement and the manipulator for the products Manta-1 (200m), Manta-4 (400m), and Manta-6 (6000m).
- September 27. The status of a scientific institution was granted to SDD EC (Minutes No. 52 of the meeting of the Council of Ministers of the USSR).
- Issue of the closed monographs “Photon moving object control system” and “Altimeters and non-contact target sensors using ionizing radiation (theory and calculation)” edited by E.I. Yurevich.
- November 21. SDD EC was assigned as the head organization for special robotics (Decree of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 1006-323).
- Successful test of the photon system aimed at measuring multiphase flows “Pulsar” for the non-contact measurement of mass oil flow in pipelines with the release of impurities.
- Creation of the photon system “DUSK-86” for the measurement of liquid level in the tanks of the airplane Il-86.
- Development of the system intended for the automated control of the output and landing at the facility for underwater vehicles “Paltus”, “Paltus-2”.
- Beginning of the mass production of unified devices aimed at controlling the power system for domestic spacecraft at the Chernigov instrument engineering plant.
- Participation in the development of the control system of the underwater robot “OSA”.
- March. Creation of the first pneumatic industrial robot with positional control MP-8.
- June 11. Broadening of the functions of SDD EC as the head organization for the development of robots to all the sectors of the national economy and the expansion of these functions with the inclusion in them of the tasks related to the unification and standardization of robots, assessment of their technical level, and the implementation of coordination of research and development in this field in the USSR (Decree of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 542).
- June 24. Transformation of SDD EC to the Central Research and Development Institute of Robotics and Engineering Cybernetics under the Leningrad Polytechnical Institute n.a. M.I. Kalinin (RTC) (Regulation of the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 1225-p).
- Director – Chief Designer of RTC, E.I. Yurevich was appointed to the position of the Chief Designer and the Chairman of the Council of Chief Designers of countries-participants of the Council for Mutual Economic Assistance on robotics.
- Creation of the systems “Klyon”, “Marker’, and “Prizyv” aimed at saving the information from the flight vehicles suffering distress and the marking of accident sites.
- Completion of the construction and commissioning of the first stage of the engineering and laboratory building of RTC.
- Development of the systems of unified modules for robots – mechanical PREM, hardware-based ESM, and software-based SPOR.
- A scientific and technical concept was developed intended for the design of robotics and the long-term work program implementing the said concept within the framework of the Council for Mutual Economic Assistance.
- Organization at AvtoVAZ of the mass production of the most popular mass produced industrial robot MP-9S developed by RTC.
- Creation of the first radiological air surveillance systems of the type “Zefir”.
- May 13. Organization at RTC of the Branch of the department of Engineering Cybernetics (Order of the Minister of Higher and Specialized Secondary Education of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic No. 314).
- Completion of the group of buildings construction for RTC.
- Organization at AvtoVAZ of the mass production of the industrial robot MP-11 developed by RTC.
- Creation of the system of on-board manipulators “Aist” for the reusable spacecraft “Buran”.
- Development of the adaptive system aimed at controlling the rope system for the discharge of the space systems of the integrated testing workbench of RTC.
June 1986 – April 1987
- Creation and employment by means of rotational work of more than 200 employees of RTC when recovering from the accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant of 15 mobile robots such as RR, RR-G, TR-A, TR-1 and the aerial radiation reconnaissance system ”Zefir-M”.
- February 27. Doctor of Engineering and Full Professor Vladimir Mikhaylovich Nikolaev was appointed to the position of the Director and the Chief Designer of RTC.
- Creation of a unified power supply system with a lifetime of more than 5 years for unmanned spacecraft.
- Putting into operation of volumetric and flat testing workbenches with weightlessness imitation for space robots and other space equipment.
- Acceptance for supply by the Soviet Army and Navy of the dose rate meter of the aviation IMD-35 “Zefir-M”.
- Development of the mathematical support and software of the adaptive system aimed at controlling the manipulator of the reusable space system “Buran”.
- Development of the computer simulating dynamic model of the space manipulator of the reusable space system “Buran” for the Cosmonaut Training Center.
- December 19. Doctor of Engineering and Full Professor Vitaly Aleksandrovich Lopota was appointed to the position of the Director and the Chief Designer of RTC.
- July 20. The department of Engineering Cybernetics and Robotics of the Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University was created in RTC under the direction of E.I. Yurevich (Order of the Rector of the Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University No. 293).
- June 5. RTC was assigned with the status of the State Research Center of the Russian Federation (Government Decree of the Russian Federation No. 648).
- Creation of the ground prototype of the space robot “Tsirkul” for the outward maintenance of space stations.
- Creation of the North-West fiber optic computer network of education and science “Rusnet”.
- Development of the adaptive control system for the layout of the space walking manipulator "Tsirkul."
- October. Presentation at the International Airspace Forum IAF-97 of the control system via the Internet in real time by the space manipulator on the stand of RTC from Turin (Italy).
- Putting into trial operation of the complex of radiation and a television control “Oreol” at the largest European customs checkpoint “Torfyanovka” on the border with Finland.
- Creation of the “Robot-Antiterrorist” with a view to search, seize, or eliminate explosion-hazardous and other dangerous items on site.
- Development and certification of the first domestic network processors of information security systems (SP-100).
- Creation of the system “Kaktus-2V” aimed at controlling the soft landing of the spacecraft of type “Soyuz TM”.
- Tests on the board of the orbital station “Mir” of the complex intended for the measurement of the parameters of rarefied atmosphere “Indicator”.
- Creation of the pilot sample “Robot-Spy” (RTK-03) to search and evacuate radioactive sources.
- Creation of the portable indicator of depressurization points in space facilities in the open space for the International Space Station.
- July. Successful participation of the “Robot-Spy” in the special forces raid of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation in Grozny on search and evacuation of highly radioactive sources.
- Acceptance for supply by the Armed Forces of the complex aimed at performing radiation reconnaissance and searching for the sources of ionizing radiation KRPI “Yezhenedelnik-1”.
- Implementation of certified information security systems in the customs bodies of the Russian Federation.
- Creation for the plant “Mayak” (Minatom) of the automated device intended for the packaging and dilution of highly radioactive samples of process media for the use in the shielded chambers and boxes.
- September, 16-20. Successful participation of “Robot-Spy” in the martial exercises NATO, Barents Rescue, in Sweden.
- Creation of the ground prototype of the technological industrial robot DORES implemented in modules for the work on the outer surfaces of orbital stations.
- Development of the adaptive control system equipped with machine vision and power sensing and the mock-up of the space technological manipulator DORES.
- October. Creation of the system of “SKDSA” aimed at controlling the pressure of its own atmosphere for the telecommunications satellites “Yamal”.
- Development of the robot "”RTK-05” performing radiation monitoring.
- Completion of the tests of the complexes of radiation and chemical monitoring.
- Creation for the plant “Mayak” (Minatom) of the prototype sample of the technology manipulator to perform works in the setting of shielded chambers and boxes.
- Development of the components of the control system intended for the robotized intelligent complexes for high-precision contour operations.
- Acceptance for supply by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation of the field beta and gamma ray spectrometer PB-GS “Deflyatsiya”.
- Development of a small-sized flying vehicle for the visual observation of the earth surface, in particular for the purposes related to the rational use of natural resources.
- Putting into trial operation of the complex for the recording and analysis of the parameters of human vital functions.
- Acceptance for supply by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation of the remotely controlled robot performing radiation and chemical reconnaissance RD-RXR “Berloga-R”.
- Development of the robot “Zmeyelok” to develop biosimilar movement methods.
- Participation of RTC representatives in the command and staff exercises of the NBC defense troops of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in Shikhany with the products KRPI, PB-GS, RD-RXR and prototype samples IMD-24 and KPKM.
- Successful completion of the state tests of the equipment complex for the survey and assessment of the accidents that took place in the sunken V and VT “Priroda-A”.
- Creation of the mobile equipment complex for the remote search and discovery of sources “Obnaruzhitel” with the placement on the board of a helicopter.
- Creation of the Space Information Center to monitor the situation in the North-West region of the Russian Federation based on the satellites performing the Earth’s remote sensing of high and super high spatial resolution.
- Successful completion of the state tests of the equipment intended for the monitoring of the radiation situation of AKRO “Astrakhan-K-RTK” as part of the complex of the on-board helicopter complex of operational environmental monitoring.
- Creation of the remotely controlled robotic complex of the small class (RTK-07) for the detection and evacuation of the local sources of gamma rays in the hard-to-reach areas of the boxes ensuring radiation protection.
- Development of the hardware and software suite performing video surveillance to detect the intruder in the setting of dynamic disturbances.
- Obtainment of the award from Hitachi Kokusai Electric, Japan, “For outstanding contributions to the GRASSY project “Software-hardware complex for detection and threat prevention of acts of terrorism”.
- Development of the components of the control system (control of grip handles and digital regulators) of the US space manipulator of the International Space Station for its modeling in the Research and Production Association “Energia”.
- Creation of the multifunctional robotic complex to perform works on the facilities of the energy and social infrastructure in extreme conditions (RTK-08).
- Acceptance for supply by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation of the meter of the dose and rate and differential flows of gamma rays IMD-24 “Ulyotchik”.
- Successful completion of the research and development project “Investigation of scientific and technical ways to create the basic spectrometric and radiometric complex of the equipment for the laboratories of the military troop control of nuclear, biological, and chemical contamination” “Povadka”.
- Creation in conjunction with the Saint Petersburg State Polytechnical University of the program for the simulating three-dimensional modeling of the systems aimed at detecting and registering the ionizing radiation MCC 3D.
- Creation of the prototype sample of a robotic device to carry out movements on arbitrarily oriented surfaces.
- Creation of the mock-up of the gamma-location finder of spherical coverage GPSO.
- Intelligent mobile robotic system with the construction of a ground map and movement on it with obstacle avoidance based on the operation or purpose specified.
- December 25. Candidate of economic sciences Aleksander Vitalyevich Lopota was appointed to the position of the Director and the Chief Designer of RTC (Order of the Head of the Federal Agency for Science and Innovations No. 910-p).
- Performance of the research as part of the space experiment “Kontur”.
- Development of mathematical support and software in the space experiment “Kontur” on the controlling of the space manipulator Rokviss located at the international space station.
- Creation of the reconfigurable mobile robot “MRTK-02”.
- Creation by the order of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation of the multipurpose mobile robotic complex of the light class to conduct radiation monitoring and perform of production operations in the setting of radiation exposure (RTK-09).
- Acceptance for supply by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation of the radiation monitoring complex of the mobile KRKM “Velosiped-R”.
- Creation of the portable combined system aimed at combining the video and gamma images of radiation sources TGVR.
- RTC together with OJSC “KBSM” put into operation at the Leningrad Nuclear Power Plant the system aimed at controlling the position of the container SKPK.
- Development of the technical appearance of the mathematical support and software of the autonomous adaptive system aimed at controlling the space technological industrial robot equipped with machine vision, force/torque control, and intelligent control.
- Successful completion of the trial operation of the module for the video analysis of the situation at the crossing in Kolpino.
- December 30. RTC was transformed into the Federal State Autonomous Scientific Institution “Central Research Institute of Robotics and Technical Cybernetics” (Order of the Minister of Education and Science of the Russian Federation No. 2912).
- Supplying the modules for the video analysis of the situation at the sea port “Morskoy Fasad”.
- A number of electromechanical functional modules (FM) for the robotic systems designed for the use on the ground and in the space. Performance of the tests of FM, including thermal vacuum ones.
- Production and shipment of the prototype sample for flight tests of the kit consisting of the components of the power loader aimed at training the cosmonauts on the board of the International Space Station.
- Production of the mobile robotic complex of the light class for reconnaissance.
- Production of the prototype sample SMS for design development tests.
- Development of the prototype sample of the manipulating system for the non-destructive control of the welded joints of the pipes of the main circulation pipeline of the nuclear reactor VVER-1200.
- Production of the prototype sample of the kit of the components of the power loader for flight tests.
- Production of the prototype sample of the kit of the components of the power loader for the assistance in flight tests.
- Initiation of the joint research project – Nissan (Japan) & RTC: “Development of the methods aimed at obtaining the information concerning the position of the vehicle based on the complexation of the data of on-board television cameras”. Scheduled completion date – 2017.
- Completion of the fourth stage of the control and development tests of the prototype sample SMS and special tests of the prototype sample SMS.
- Production of the sample No.2 of the manipulating system for the non-destructive control of the welded joints of the pipes of the main circulation pipeline of the nuclear reactor VVER-1200.
- Production of the sample No.1 of the manipulating system aimed at controlling the metal parts of the nozzles of the upper block of the main circulation pump unit of the nuclear reactor VVER-1200.
- A joint project with the Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University “Creation of a collective universal rescue vehicle equipped with the function of the unmanned control for the evacuation of personnel in the emergency situations caused by the acts of nature and man-induced actions on the Arctic Shelf”.
- Successful conduct at the Mission Control Center (MCC) of experiments on the use of the machine vision system aimed at docking the spacecraft “Progress” and “Soyuz” to the International Space Station.